Wednesday, December 8, 2010

VMFA: Patrick Caulfield

Patrick Caulfield is a british pop artist who came shortly after the Pop art movement was launched. Caulfield is known for using bright blocks of flat colour and thick black outlines in his painting. His style has influenced artists such as Michael Craig-Martin.

Some scholars have question the seriousness of Caulfield's work pointing out that it slightly mimics some abstract qualities 
I enjoy looking at Patrick Caulfield paintings mainly because of there graphic nature.
I saw this painting, Paradise Bar and  thought of it showing up some where in a magazine.
What also attracted me to this painting was the fact that it reminded of on the pieces I did in surface ( laptop ) because of the bold crisp lines. 

I think I am going to do some more research on Caulfield's work. I would really like to know what his process is for his paintings...




.

No comments:

Post a Comment